Families with Children | The Dover Church
Families with Children
Welcome Families with Young Worshipers!
Christian education staff and volunteers are available on Sunday mornings to assist new children and their families. We encourage new families with small children to arrive early and take a brief tour of our Sunday School with their child and meet our Teddy Bear Nursery caretakers from Mother's Helpers.
Our Sunday School and Teddy Bear Nursery is for ALL children (even visitors!). On Sunday morning at 10am children start out in the sanctuary with their families and then leave for Sunday school after the "Children's message" is given by our pastor.
Here are some specific things we hope will make you and your children feel welcome in our church.
- Worship Bags - Full of calming activities and fun for our youngest worshipers. You can find them in the straw baskets in the narthex (church entrance area).
- The Deacons Bench - Comfortable seating in the narthex with a little more wiggle room. Speakers in the narthex allow you to enjoy the service.
- Kraft Hall - Even more wiggle room across the courtyard.
- The Teddy Bear Nursery - Fun play space for children through the age of three. Staffed with professional caregivers. Beepers for every parent. Downstairs in lower Kraft Hall. It is open from 9:30am-11:30am.
- Sunday School - Creative multi-media curricula for children in PreK through 7th grade. Children leave the sanctuary for Sunday School after the Children's Message. Most classrooms are downstairs in Kraft Hall and are labeled by grade. Children who wish to stay in the sanctuary for the full service are more than welcome to do so.
- Coffee Hour - Multi-generational gathering in Kraft Hall for coffee, treats and friendship after worship service.
- Ushers and Deacons - Available to assist you in any way!
Sunday School will meet during our 10:00 am worship service on Sundays. We will gather in the service for the first 10 to 15 minutes before going together with our teachers to our classrooms in lower Kraft Hall.
Check the enews or Christian Ed eblasts for the weekly sign up links and lesson information, and don't hesitate to reach out to Kayla (email@example.com) with any questions!
We rejoice with you as you consider being baptized and seeking baptism for your child. We love baptisms at the Dover Church. Baptism is one of the two sacraments we celebrate at The Dover Church as a member of the United Church of Christ (the other being Communion). A sacrament is an outward and visible sign of God’s grace, meaning that we can all see the water and the people and we believe that God is blessing and welcoming the person.
If you are thinking about confirmation and wondering what it is all about in our congregation, here is a brief description: The confirmation program at The Dover Church may not be what you think of when you picture a typical “confirmation class.” Our confirmands are not expected to memorize a bunch of ideas or list off points of theological doctrine. They aren’t told what they can or cannot believe, and they aren’t expected to have everything figured out.
We recognize the great gifts, as well as needs, that the youth of Dover (and surrounding towns) bring into our midst and we welcome them—regardless of whether their families are active in our church. Our Middle School youth group provides safe space, trust, community, challenge, and guidance for young people as they share, play, reflect, serve and grow.
We recognize the great gifts, as well as needs, that the youth of Dover and surrounding towns bring into our midst and we welcome them—regardless of whether their families are active in our church.
Our High School youth group provides safe space, trust, community, challenge, and guidance for young people as they share, play, reflect, serve and grow. We strive to be wide in our welcome, generous in our support and love, serious in our inclusion, and open-minded in our service toward others!
Families with Children are at the center of our community of faith. Whether sharing in a Children’s Message in worship or learning about God and Jesus in Sunday School, there is so much for families with children at The Dover Church
Music is the sea on which our worship floats, warming our hearts and inspiring our life together at The Dover Church. If you love to sing or play an instrument, we have a place for you.